Memoir of Peter McEntee
MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 544
Something for the Record, memoir, 1995, by McEntee of his life, including childhood in Kenya, war-time experiences in Kenya, Abyssinia, Madagascar, Ceylon and Burma, work in Kenya, Nigeria, Pakistan and Belize, and for the Commonwealth Relations Department.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 544].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 544
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 3228
Biographical / Historical
Peter Donovan McEntee (b 1920), CMG (1978), OBE (1963), was educated at Haileybury and served during World War Two in the King's African Rifles (Major) in Kenya, Abyssinia, Madagascar and Burma. After the war he ran the Company Commander's wing of the Combined School of Infantry, Nakuru. He served in Kenya as district officer, Embu from 1946, then district commissioner in Kapenguna and Marsebit, Municipal African Affairs Officer, Mombasa, Assistant Secretary, Chief Secretary's Office, Nairobi, Replacement Officer in Nakuru and Thika Districts and in Thompsons Falls. He then returned to the Secretariat at Nairobi and finally took control of Central Nyanza District before taking the post of African Courts Officer, 1960-1963. He worked in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, 1963, then moved to Lagos, Nigeria, where he served as First Secretary (Internal), 1964-1967. Returning to London, he worked from 1967 to 1972 as a desk officer at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and an assistant at the Commonwealth Relations Department. He was Consul General, Karachi, Pakistan, 1972-1975, and Governor and Commander-in-Chief, Belize, 1976-1980. After his retirement, he served as Vice-Chairman of the Royal Commonwealth Society for the Blind, and, from 1993, Chairman of the Council of the Royal Overseas League. In 1945 he married Mary Elisabeth Sherwood, with whom he had two daughters.
Other Finding Aids
The library holds a card index of all manuscript collections in its reading room.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The memoir was donated to the library by Peter McEntee, through the good offices of A. Kirk-Greene, on 17th March 1997.
- 20th century
- Belize -- Description and travel
- Belize -- History -- 20th century
- Burma -- History -- 1824-1948
- Ethiopia -- History -- 1889-1974
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Belize -- Administration
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Kenya -- Administration
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Nigeria -- Administration
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Pakistan -- Administration
- Kenya -- Description and travel
- Kenya -- History -- 1895-1963
- McEntee | Peter | b 1920 | colonial administrator, Major
- Nigeria -- History -- 1960-
- Pakistan -- Description and travel
- Pakistan -- History -- 20th century
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Burma -- Personal narratives
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Ethiopia -- Personal narratives
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Kenya -- Personal narratives
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Madagascar -- Personal narratives
- Memoir of Peter McEntee
- Paul Davidson
- Language of description
- Script of description