Skip to main content

Kenya Armoured Car Regiment

 Single Item
MSS. Afr. s. 2241

  • How to
    request
Photocopy of a typescript History of the Kenya Armoured Car Regiment, 1939-1941

Dates

  • 20th cent.

Extent

1 folder

Language of Materials

English

Preferred Citation

Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Afr. s. 2241].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.

Shelfmark:

MSS. Afr. s. 2241

Collection ID (for staff)

CMD ID 2727

Biographical / Historical

At the outbreak of World War Two in September 1939, it was decided that information was needed on Italian activities on the borders between Kenya and Abyssinia/Italian Somalia. A scout platoon of fourteen Kenyan settlers was therefore set up to undertake patrol and reconnaissance work. The platoon was later transferred to Nairobi, where it formed the nucleus of the East African Reconnaissance Squadron, comprising HQ and four troops. When Italy finally declared war, the troops were sent to patrol the Northern Frontier District, Kenya with bases at Wajir and Garissa. Engineers in Nairobi constructed armoured vehicles for the squadron. Subsequently, its name was altered to the East African Armoured Car Regiment.

The Regiment went into action at El Wak, Italian Somaliland, on 16th December 1940 and took part in the allied advance to Addis Ababa, Abyssinia. During the Abyssinian campaign, its ranks were divided between the 12th (African) Division, advancing from Garissa to Gimma, and the 11th Division, advancing from Jubaland, Italian Somaliland to Addis Ababa. On 30th June 1941 it was re-named the Kenya Armoured Car Regiment.

Other Finding Aids

The library holds a card index of all manuscript collections in its reading room.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The papers were donated to the library by Thomas Ofcansky on the 1st July 1997.
Title
Kenya Armoured Car Regiment
Status
Completed
Author
Paul Davidson
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository

Contact:
Weston Library
Broad Street
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom