Facsimiles of the Correspondence of Sir Alfred Zimmern and of Lord Eustace Percy
Facsimiles of selected correspondence held in American and Israeli archive collections. Major subjects covered include Sir Alfred Zimmern, Anglo-American relations (particularly during Lord Bryce's ambassadorship), World War One, the League of Nations, Zionism and Palestine. The facsimiles comprise:
- Zimmern's lecture to the Zionist Organization, London, 1919
- a photocopy of two pages from The Wykehamist, 31 Oct. 1917
- correspondence between Alfred Zimmern and: Horace Kallen, -36; Oliver Wendell Holmes, 1912-27; Walter Lippman, 1911-29, 1939-49; and Chaim Weizmann, 1915-17
- a memorandum by Lord Eustace Percy, 1914
- letters from Lord Eustace to: Oliver Wendell Holmes, 1914-15; Walter Lippman, 1915-24; Walter Polk, 1917; and Arthur Willert, 1911-18
- photocopies (originals 1911-49)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Facs. c. 118].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Facs. c. 118-9
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13935
Biographical / Historical
Sir Alfred Eckhard Zimmern (1879-1957), Knight, was a political scientist. Eustace Sutherland Campbell Percy (1887-1958), Baron Percy of Newcastle, was a politician and educationist. Details on both are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to unpublished catalogues.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library in 1990.
- 20th century
- Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- United States
- Holmes | Oliver Wendell | 1841-1935 | American jurist
- Kallen | Horace | 1882-1974 | philosopher, pacifist, educationalist and zionist
- League of Nations
- Lippman | Walter | 1889-1974 | socialist, journalist and American politician
- Percy | Eustace Sutherland Campbell | 1887-1958 | Baron Percy of Newcastle | politician
- Political Scientists
- Polk | Frank Lyon | 1871-1943 | American politician
- Weizmann | Chaim | 1874-1952 | chemist, scholar and Zionist leader
- Willert | Arthur | 1907-1973 | journalist and diplomat
- World War, 1914-1918
- Zimmern | Sir | Alfred Eckhard | 1879-1957 | Knight | Political Scientist
- Facsimiles of the Correspondence of Sir Alfred Zimmern and of Lord Eustace Percy
- Susan Thomas
- Language of description
- Script of description