Correspondence of the Rev. James Austin Roberts, his Wife, and Son
Correspondence of the Rev. James Austin Roberts, congregationalist minister, and his wife Sarah (née Gilby), 1813-31 and 1832-71, including letters to each other; letters to their son Austin, 1856-8, 1874; memoranda of James Austin Roberts, 1818-22; and a letter from the Duke of Wellington to the Marquis of Normanby, 1840.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. lett. c. 546].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. lett. c. 546-7
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13429
Biographical / Historical
James Austin Roberts (1795-1872) was a Congregational minister, in Wiltshire, 1828-32, in New York, 1832, and at New Bedford, Massachusetts, 1832-62.
Other Finding Aids
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to unpublished catalogues.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought by the Library from Henry Bristow Ltd., 1981.
- 19th century
- Congregationalists -- England
- Phipps | Constantine Henry | 1797-1863 | 1st Marquess of Normanby | statesman and author
- Roberts | Austin | fl 1856-1874 | son of Rev. James Austin Roberts
- Roberts | James Austin | 1795-1872 | Congregational minister
- Roberts | Sarah Gilby | fl 1813-1874 | nee Gilby
- Wellesley | Arthur | 1769-1852 | 1st Duke of Wellington | Field Marshall and statesman
- Correspondence of the Rev. James Austin Roberts, his Wife, and Son
- Susan Thomas
- Language of description