Papers of Hugh Tulloch
Papers relating to career in prison service in Palestine, Egypt, Shanghai, Nigeria and Sierra Leone, including police orders, correspondence, memoranda, photographs, printed material and press cuttings, 1936-1966.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 477].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 477
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 4635
Biographical / Historical
Hugh Tulloch (fl 1914-1960s) joined the Prisons and Police Service, Shanghai in 1939 but became a prisoner of war from 1943 to 1945. After the end of the Second World War he became Consulate-General of Shanghai, 1945-1946, Assistant Superintendant, Prisons, Nigeria, from 1947 and Superintendant from 1952. He was made Senior Superintendant, Sierra Leone, from 1956 and Deputy Director, Prisons, 1956-1961.
Other Finding Aids
Listed as no. 628 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996).
- 20th century
- China -- History -- 1937-1945
- Egypt -- History -- 20th century
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Administration
- Mandates -- Palestine
- Nigeria -- History -- 1900-1960
- Palestine -- History -- 1917-1948
- Prison administration -- China
- Prison administration -- Egypt
- Prison administration -- Nigeria
- Prison administration -- Palestine
- Prison administration -- Sierra Leone
- Sierra Leone -- History -- 1896-1961
- Tulloch | Hugh | fl 1914-1960s | prison administrator
- Papers of Hugh Tulloch
- Paul Davidson
- Language of description