Collections of Sir Hugh Walpole
A collection made by Sir Hugh Walpole of manuscripts and letters of writers and artists of the late 19th and early 20th cent., with some papers relating to them. Many of the letters are addressed to John Lane, and many of the papers have headings in the hand of A.J.A. Symons. The collection consists of:
- Papers of Lord Alfred Douglas, 1910-38
- Papers of Richard Le Gallienne, 1893-1914
- Papers of Stephen Phillips, 1898-1916
- Papers of F.W. Rolfe 'Baron Corvo', 1881-1958
- Papers of A.W. Symons, 1891-1927
- Papers of William Watson, 1893-1919
- Miscellaneous, 1892-1941
- 19th-20th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Walpole a. 1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Walpole a. 1-3, b. 1-7, c. 1-24, d. 1-19, e. 1-9, f. 1-3
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 7596
Biographical / Historical
Sir Hugh Seymour Walpole (1884-1941) was a novelist and man of letters. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 55537-602.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was bequeathed to the Library by Walpole in 1941.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Artists -- 19th century
- Artists -- 20th century
- Authors -- 19th century
- Authors -- 20th century
- Douglas | Alfred Bruce | 1870-1945 | Lord | Poet
- Lane | John | 1854-1925 | Publisher
- Le Gallienne | Richard Thomas | 1866-1947 | Poet and Essayist
- Phillips | Stephen | 1864-1915 | Poet and Dramatist
- Poets -- 19th century
- Poets -- 20th century
- Rolfe | Frederick William | 1860-1913 | Author 'baron Corvo'
- Symons | Albert James Alroy | 1900-1941 | Author and Bibliophile
- Symons | Arthur William | 1865-1945 | Editor Critic and Poet
- Walpole | Sir | Hugh Seymour | 1884-1941 | Knight | Novelist and Man of Letters
- Watson | Angus William | 1858-1935 | Sir
- Collections of Sir Hugh Walpole
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description