Papers of Sir Henry Marion Durand and Sir Henry Mortimer Durand
Papers of Sir Henry Marion Durand and Sir Henry Mortimer Durand concerning the Indian mutiny, including correspondence and official papers.
- [c. 1857-1876]
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. hist. b. 228].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. hist. b. 228, c. 878-887, d. 422-423
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12921
Biographical / Historical
Sir Henry Marion Durand (1812-1871) was Lieutenant Governor of the Punjab. His son was Sir Henry Mortimer Durand (1850-1924), Indian civil servant and diplomat. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 39683-95.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library c.1930.
- 19th century
- Durand | Henry Marion | 1812-1871 | Sir | Knight and Lieutenant Governor of the Punjab
- Durand | Henry Mortimer | 1850-1924 | Sir | Knight, Indian Civil Servant, and Diplomat
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- India -- 19th century
- India -- History -- Sepoy Rebellion, 1857-1858
- India -- History -- 19th century
- Indian Mutiny 1857-1858
- Papers of Sir Henry Marion Durand and Sir Henry Mortimer Durand
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description