Papers of Sir Kennedy Trevaskis (1)
- Personal diaries, 1939-1942, 1958-1959, 1967-1968, including observations on Kenya, Tanganyika and Somaliland
- Official desk diaries, 1956, 1958-1964
- Observations by Trevaskis on the ecology of Northern Rhodesia, ; The Northern Rhodesia Journal, June 1950, containing articles on the region's history, natural history and sociology
- Notes, surveys, report, newspaper cuttings, etc. relating to Eritrea and his period spent there, including material on the Hamasien, the people of the Cheren district and tribal reorganisation in the Western Province, 1940s, typescript extracts as presented by delegations at the Four Powers Commission of Investigation for ex-Italian Colonies, 1947-1948, and notes for Eritrea: A Colony in Transition, 1941-1952 (Oxford; Oxford University Press; 1960)
- Report on the political, economic and social situation in the Western Aden Protectorate, ; reports on the political and economic situation in the Middle East, 1979-1980; report on the implications of a ceasefire in the Persian Gulf, ; paper on Great Britain's foreign and defence policies with regard to Aden between 1959 and 1966
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 546].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 546
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 4616
Biographical / Historical
Sir Gerald Kennedy Nicholas Trevaskis entered the colonial service as an administrative cadet, Northern Rhodesia in 1938. During the Second World War he enlisted with the Northern Rhodesian Regiment, was captured by Italian forces at Tug Aqan, British Somaliland in 1940, was seconded to British Military Administration, Eritrea, 1941-1948, and was made Senior Divisional Officer, Assab, 1943. After the war, he served as a member of the British delegation to the Four Power Commission of Investigation into ex-Italian Colonies, 1947-1948. He worked as District Commissioner at Ndola, Northern Rhodesia and Liaison Officer for the United Nations Commission, Eritrea, 1950. He served as Political Officer, Western Aden Protectorate, 1951, Deputy British Agent from 1952 and British Agent to Western Aden Protectorate from 1954. In 1957 he was a member of the British Delegation at the Anglo-Yemeni meeting in London. He held the post of High Commissioner for Aden and the Protectorate of South Arabia, 1963-1965. Awarded the OBE and KCMG, he published Eritrea: A Colony in Transition, 1941-52 (Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1960) and Shades of Amber: A South Arabian Episode (London, Hutchinson, 1968). In 1945 he married Sheila James Harrington.
Other Finding Aids
A handlist for the collection is available in the library reading room.
Sir Kennedy Trevaskis's papers were received as two separate deposits in 1968 and 1993. Receiving the second deposit after such a lengthy interval necessitated its treatment as a separate collection for listing purposes.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were deposited by Anthony d'Avery, on behalf of Lady Trevaskis, in March/June 1993.
- 20th century
- Aden (Yemen) -- History -- 20th century
- Eritrea -- Description and travel -- Views
- Eritrea -- History
- Ethnology -- Eritrea
- Four Powers Commission of Investigation for the Former Italian Colonies | Eritrea | 1947
- Iran-Iraq War, 1980-1988 -- Diplomatic history
- Kenya -- Description and travel
- Middle East -- History -- 1979-
- Natural history -- Zambia
- Somalia -- Description and travel
- Tanzania -- Description and travel
- Trevaskis | Sir | Gerald Kennedy Nicholas | 1915-1990 | Knight | Colonial Administrator
- Zambia -- History
- Zambia -- Social conditions
- Papers of Sir Kennedy Trevaskis (1)
- Language of description