Papers of Patrick Brian Sweeney
Typescript autobiography and papers relating to service as a customs officer in India, Kenya, Tanganyika, Uganda, Zanzibar, Somaliland and Aden, 1933-1965.
1 volume, 1 box
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 518].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 518
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 4447
Biographical / Historical
Patrick Brian Sweeney (fl 1914-1962) worked in the Indian Customs Service, 1933-1949 (though the Second World War saw him serve as captain, 1941-1945). He became Collector, East Africa Customs and Excise, 1949, Assistant Comptroller, Customs and Excise, Zanzibar, 1956, and Comptroller, Somalia. He worked as Advisor on Customs, Aden, from 1960, and Collector, Customs and Excise, from 1962.
Other Finding Aids
Listed as no. 622 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were donated by Patrick Brian Sweeney through the Oxford Colonial Archives Project in September 1987.
- 20th century
- Aden -- History -- 20th century
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Administration
- Great Britain.Customs and Excise -- Officials and employees -- Biography
- India -- History -- 20th century
- Kenya -- History -- 1895-1963
- Somalia -- History -- 20th century
- Sweeney | Patrick Brian | b 1914 | Customs and Excise official, colonial administration
- Tanzania -- History -- To 1964
- Uganda -- History -- 1890-1962
- Papers of Patrick Brian Sweeney
- Language of description
- Script of description