Papers of Christopher Swabey
Travel diaries, correspondence, drafts for a history of the Colonial Forestry Service, memoranda etc. relating to work in the Colonial Forestry Service, and as director of the Commonwealth Forestry Bureau, in Trinidad, British Guiana, Canada, Sudan, Australia, Jamaica, America, Fiji, Solomon Islands, North Borneo and the West Indies, with two memoirs on colonial service, 1928-1971.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 459].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 459
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 4423
Biographical / Historical
Christopher Swabey (1906-1972), forestry adviser and conservator, took the post of Assistant Conservator of Forests, Trinidad, 1928. He then became Conservator of Forests, Jamaica, 1937, Conservator of Forests, British Guiana, 1946, Chief Conservator of Forests, Uganda, 1951, Forestry Advisor, Colonial Office, 1957-1964 and to the Ministry of Overseas Development, 1964-1965. From 1965 to 1970 he was Director of the Commonwealth Forestry Bureau. In 1947 he married Gabrielle Patricia Markham, with whom he had one daughter.
Other Finding Aids
Listed as no. 621 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996).
The papers, collected by Swabey as research for a planned book on the Colonial Forestry Service, were initially held on loan pending any decision regarding the book's possible publication after his death in Ethiopia in 1972. The papers were sent from Ethiopia to his widow, who donated them to the library. They were only accessioned after October 1981, when a final decision not to proceed with publication was reached. Consequently they were not accessioned until 1981.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were donated to the library by Dr. H.C. Dawkins of the Department of Forestry, Oxford University, on behalf of Mrs. G.P. Swabey on 14th February 1972.
- 20th century
- America -- Description and travel
- Australia -- Description and travel
- Canada -- Description and travel
- Colonial Forest Service
- Commonwealth Forestry Bureau
- Fiji -- Description and travel
- Forestry -- History -- 20th century
- Guyana -- Description and travel
- Jamaica -- Description and travel
- Sabah -- Description and travel
- Solomon Islands -- Description and travel
- Sudan -- Description and travel
- Swabey | Christopher | 1906-1972 | forestry adviser and conservator
- Trinidad and Tobago -- Description and travel
- West Indies -- Description and travel
- Papers of Christopher Swabey
- Language of description