Transcript of the Building Accounts of Dartford Manor House
Typescript copies, with manuscript notes, of the building accounts of Dartford manor house, 1541-4 (MSS. Rawl. D. 783-4), with (c. 14) a paper by J.W. Kirby based upon the accounts, entitled 'The manor house of Henry VIII at Dartford', c. 1959.
- [c. 1959]
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Top. Kent c. 13].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Top. Kent c. 13-14
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 8948
Biographical / Historical
Shortly after the first dissolution of Dartford Priory in 1539, Henry VIII decided to provide himself with a series of houses on the road from London to the coast. Buildings formerly associated with Dartford Priory were demolished, and Dartford manor house was erected in their stead. The accounts were kept by James Needham (fl. 16th century), one of the surveyors of the King's works at Dartford.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 54402-3.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library in 1959.
- Transcript of the Building Accounts of Dartford Manor House
- Susan Thomas
- Language of description
- Script of description