Papers of John George Haggard
- Papers concerning consular service in Kenya, Zanzibar, Madagascar, Brest, Trieste, Malaga and New Caledonia, 1883-1908
- Correspondence, including typed transcripts, 1881-1907
- Horoscopes and solicitors' bills for marriage settlement, 1883-1904
- Passports, [c1880-1910?]
- Letters from Agnes Marion Haggard, his wife, 1885-1888
- Journals of Ella Doveton, his sister-in-law, 1837-1866
- Correspondence with Andrew Charles Parker Haggard, his brother, on service with the Egyptian Army in the Sudan, 1882-1917
- Letters, Alfred Thacker, servant to Andrew Charles Parker Haggard, 1884, 1943
- Letters, Maximilian Richard Western, 1882, 1883
- Printed and manuscript ephemera, including notes on the family of William Meybohm Rider Haggard (1817-1893) and Ella Haggard (née Doveton) (1892-1976)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 465].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 465
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 2161
Biographical / Historical
John George Haggard (1850-1908) served from 1883 to 1908 as British Vice-Consul in Lamu (Kenya) and also in the British consulates in Zanzibar, Madagascar, Brest (France), Trieste (Italy), Noumea (New Caledonia) and Malaga (Spain). He was married to Agnes Marion Barber.
Other Finding Aids
Listed as no. 584 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were donated to the library by J.V.A. Haggard, John George Haggard's grandson, c19th August 1982.
Existence and Location of Copies
Microfilm copies of the papers (excepting letters from Agnes Marion Haggard, c.1886-1888, the diaries of Ella Doveton, 1837-1866, and letters from Maximilian Western in Rangoon, Burma, nd.) are held by the National Archives of Kenya and the National Museums of Kenya.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Brest (France) -- History
- Doveton | Ella Haggard | fl 1837-1866 | nee Doveton
- Egypt -- Army
- Great Britain -- Consulate
- Great Britain. Army -- Egypt -- Military life
- Haggard | 1854-1923 | Andrew Charles Parker | soldier
- Haggard | Agnes Marion | fl 1885-1888 | nee Barber
- Haggard | John George | 1850-1908 | diplomat
- Haggard | William Meybohm Rider | fl 1883 | lawyer and squire
- Kenya -- History
- Madagascar -- History
- Málaga (Spain) -- History
- New Caledonia -- History
- Sudan -- History -- 1821-
- Trieste (Italy) -- History
- Zanzibar -- History
- Papers of John George Haggard
- Paul Davidson
- Language of description