Archive of E.R. Eddison
Papers of E.R. Eddison, including:
- Letters, 1922-1945, concerning The worm Ouroboros, published 1922, and A fish dinner in Memison, published 1941
- Correspondence and agreements with Jonathan Cape, 1921-1941, concerning the publication of The worm Ouroboros (1922) and Styrbiorn the Strong (1926)
- Correspondence with English and American publishers, 1940-1945, concerning A fish dinner in Memison, published by E.P. Dutton & Co. Inc., New York, May 1941
- Letters from friends, with some draft replies, 1939-1945
- Literary papers, including papers relating to 'The saga of Vemund Kögur Fjorleif's son', The Mezentian Gate, Egil's saga, and stories written by Eddison as a young man, ca. 1900-1945
- Drawings by Eddison, some of which were used in his published works, 1892-1958
- Notebook containing words and phrases from 16th-and 17th-century authors, collected while writing The Mezentian Gate, 1941
- Albums containing newspaper cuttings of reviews, 1922-1941, including reviews of The worm Ouroboros, 1922
- Creation: 1892-1958
1.13 Linear metres (13 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. b. 105, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. b. 105, c. 456-457, c. 469, d. 654-656, e. 598-599; Eng. lett. c. 230-232
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13640
Archive of E.R. Eddison
Biographical / Historical
Eric Rücker Eddison (1882-1945) was an author. Details are given in Who Was Who.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 42941-52.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library in 1968.
- Eddison | Eric Rucker | 1882-1945 | Author (Person)
- Arlott | (Leslie Thomas) John | 1914-1991 | writer and broadcaster (Person)
- Church | Richard Thomas | 1893-1972 | poet and writer (Person)
- Griffith | Llewelyn Wyn | 1890-1977 | writer and broadcaster (Person)
- Haggard | Sir | (Henry) Rider | 1856-1925 | novelist (Person)
- Hamilton | Sir | George Rostrevor | 1888-1967 | Knight, Poet, Writer, and Civil Servant (Person)
- Lewis | Clive Staples | 1898-1963 | writer (Person)
- Sandford | Christopher | 1902-1983 | typographer and publisher (Person)
- Stephens | James | 1880-1950 | poet and novelist (Person)
- Catalogue of the archive of E.R. Eddison
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- Second edition, 2023.