Papers of E. James Coode
Reports, memoranda, letters and diaries, 1928-1979 relating to service in the Gilbert and Ellice Islands, 1940-1943, Fiji, 1943-1959 and Tonga, 1959-1965, and after retirement.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Pac. s. 112].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Pac. s. 112
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 1336
Biographical / Historical
E.James Coode, OBE (fl 1918-1979) worked as an administrative officer in the Gilbert and Ellice Islands, 1940-1943 and Fiji, 1943-1959. From 1959-1965 he served as British Commissioner and Consul, Tonga.
Other Finding Aids
Listed as no. 758 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were donated to the library by E.J. Coode in 1985. The majority of the printed material donated was transferred to the library's printed collection.
- 20th century
- Coode | E. James | b 1918 | colonial administrator
- Fiji -- History -- 20th century
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Fiji -- Administration
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Kiribati -- Administration
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Tonga -- Administration
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Tuvalu -- Administration
- Kiribati -- History -- 20th century
- Tonga -- History -- 20th century
- Tuvalu -- History -- 20th century
- Papers of E. James Coode
- Paul Davidson
- Language of description