Correspondence of the Keble and Cornish families
Correspondence of the Keble and Cornish families, 1813-1872, comprising:
- (fols. 1-35) letters from Thomas Keble to George James Cornish, 1813-1848
- (fols. 36-37) letter from Elizabeth, Thomas Keble's wife, to Mrs. Cornish, 1848
- (fols. 38-39) letters from Thomas Keble to Mrs. Cornish about the illness and death of John Keble, 1866
- (fols. 40-46) poems by John Keble dedicated to Hubert Kestell Cornish, 1825, n.d.
- (fols. 47-54) sermon by John Keble on I.Tim.3.15, preached at Burthorpe, 1823, and Coln St. Aldwyns, 1829
- (fols. 55-56) letter from John Keble to Hubert Cornish, 1844
- (fols. 57-58) letter from Richard Hurrell Froude to Hubert Cornish, with a poem, 1830
- (fols. 59-60) letter from Hubert Cornish to Dr. G. Moberley, 1869
- (fols. 61-63) letter from George Cornish to his son, Robert Kestell Cornish, 1848
- (fols. 64-84) letters from John Keble to Robert Cornish, 1848-1865
- (fols. 85-86) letter from John, son of Thomas Keble, to Robert Cornish about the death of his uncle, 1866
- (fols. 87-102) letters from Sir John Taylor Coleridge to Robert Cornish, 1861-1872, with (fol. 102) letter from George Williams to Coleridge, 1872
- (fols. 103-104) letter from Hubert Cornish to his nephew, Robert, 1869.
- Creation: 1813-1872
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. lett. c. 838, fol. 1-2].
MS. Eng. lett. c. 838
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 23104
Correspondence of the Keble and Cornish families.
Biographical / Historical
Sir John Taylor Coleridge (1790–1876) was a Judge. For further details see the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
George James Cornish (1794-1849) was Prebendary of Exeter.
Hubert Kestell Cornish (1803-1873) was an Anglican Clergyman.
John Keble (1792–1866) was a Church of England clergyman and poet. For further details see the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
Thomas Keble (1793–1875) was a Church of England clergyman. He married Elizabeth Jane Clarke (1804–1870), the elder daughter of the Revd. George Clarke. For further details see the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought from Christie's, 19 Sep 1984, lot 347.
- Correspondence of the Keble and Cornish families
- EAD version 2023 by Marion lowman
- EAD version 2023
- Language of description
- Script of description