Conservative Party Archive: Conservative Central Office - Young Britons
Comprises the following papers:
- Committees and working groups
- General administration
- Photographs and press cuttings
- Creation: 1928-1965
0.47 Linear metres (6 boxes)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
General access conditions apply to this material.
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries, Conservative Party Archive [followed by shelfmark, e.g. CCO 506/8/1].
Full range of shelfmarks:
CCO 506/7/3-7; CCO 506/8/1-7.
Collection ID (for staff)
CPA CCO 506/B
Archive of the Conservative Party Youth Organisation: Young Britons, 1928-1965.
Biographical / Historical
The Young Britons Organisation was formed in 1925 as the juvenile branch of the National Union of Conservative and Unionist Associations. The organisation was closed down during the Second World War and was reformed in 1948, but never returned to its former popularity. It catered for the 6-16 age group, recruiting both boys and girls. Attempts to revitalise it were made in the 1950s and in 1954 a Young Britons Central Committee was established which included representation from the Women's, Young Conservatives', and Teachers' Advisory Committees of the National Union, although the Central Committee itself was never accorded the same status as a National Advisory Committee. Under its constitution, it also had representation from each Young Britons Area Advisory Committee, three representatives appointed by the National Union's Executive Committee, and the Party's Vice-Chairman responsible for Women. In February 1955 it adopted the motto, 'Learning to Serve'. In June 1965, Party Chairman Edward du Cann set up a working party chaired by Lady Silverstone to look into and re-evaluate the Young Britons Organisation in the context of the changing pattern of children's leisure-time activities. As the result of this, it was formally closed down with effect from 31st December 1965.
The Conservative Party Archive (CPA) was established as a source for academic study at the Bodleian Library in 1978 by an agreement made between the University of Oxford and the Conservative Party, and brought together surviving historic papers of the Party previously held in various locations including Newcastle University Library and the former Conservative Central Office in Smith Square, London. Since 1996, ownership and financial responsibility for the CPA has been vested in the Conservative Party Archive Trust. The CPA preserves the records of all three areas of Party organisation: parliamentary, voluntary and professional. It is recognised by the Conservative Party as the official repository for its historic records and those of affiliated organisations, and receives new material on a regular basis.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Conservative Party.
- Conservative Party | affiliated organisations (Organisation)
- Conservative Party | Conservative Central Office (Organisation)
- Conservative Party | National Union of Conservative and Unionist Associations | Young Britons (Organisation)
- Conservative Party (Organisation)
- Conservative Party Archive: Young Britons CPA CCO 506/B
- Finding aid prepared by Annaliese Griffiss and Abigail Spokes
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is written in: English, Latin script.
- Edition statement
- Second Edition.