Photographs relating to T.E. Lawrence, with letters from Sarah Lawrence to Mrs Hutchins
Eighteen black and white photographs, some possibly annotated by T.E. Lawrence in pencil and others annotated in ink, including:
- T.E. Lawrence 'trying a Stokes gun' at Alcaba on the Red Sea, n.d.
- 'Bir Birein from the old fort', n.d.
- Postcard of T.E. Lawrence memorial, St. Martin's Church, Wareham, Dorset, n.d.
- 'Khoja: C.L.W.: Hachim Ibn Muheid', 'The peace conference', 'Turkish agitator-envoy prominent in centre background...', n.d. [c.1919].
- Dahoum [Selim Ahmed] wrestling [at Carchemish], with pencil note on reverse commenting on technique, n.d. [c.1911].
- Dahoum [Selim Ahmed] [at Carchemish], 'the water-boy... taken when he was very tired one evening', n.d. [c.1911].
- 'Some of the onlookers Hachim's camp', n.d. [c.1919].
- Various archaeological excavations, unannotated and n.d.
- 'London Day by Day', relating to donation of T.E. Lawrence costume to Bath Museum of Costume, n.d.
- 'Courageous Story of Mrs Lawrence', by Lord Astor, n.d.
- 'On This Day', [The Times], 20 May 1935, 'Lawrence Dead', p.15, n.d.
- Obituary of A.W. Lawrence [Apr 1991].
- Printed letter [to the editor] on 'Lawrence', by 'R. Hutchins (Captain, rtd.)', n.d.
Twelve letters from Sarah Lawrence (mother of T.E. Lawrence) to her former neighbour Mrs Hutchins. The letters refer to their respective children, their health, and T.E. Lawrence's grave at Moreton. Also includes one letter from Robert Lawrence to Mrs Hutchins. Letters written from:
- The Lacket, Lockeridge, Marlborough [incomplete], 22 May [?].
- Ray Park Nursing Home, Maidenhead, 3 Jan 1950.
- Chilswell House, Boars Hill, Oxford, 5 Apr  (with a reference to 'Ned's sandals') and 18 Dec .
- Kenya House, Boars Hill, Oxford, 17 Mar , 1 Jun , 20 Dec , 17 Dec [?], 4 May [?], 5 Jan [?], 20 Oct [?]. Also from Robert ('Bob') Lawrence, 20 Feb [c.1951?].
- Fragment, n.d.
This collection also contains:
Compliments card of M.R. Lawrence; letter to R.J. Hutchins from Patrick Neill, All Souls College, Oxford, 1 Feb 1995; and circular letter addressed to Mr R.J. Hutchins and Miss E. Hutchins from the T.E. Lawrence Society regarding computerised membership list, Dec 1987.
The items were kept in a modern photograph album and folder, which have not been retained.
- Creation: c.1911-1952
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 12479].
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12479
Photographs relating to T.E. Lawrence, with letters from Sarah Lawrence to Mrs Hutchins, c.1911-1952.
Biographical / Historical
For biographical details of T.E. Lawrence ('Lawrence of Arabia') (1888-1935), intelligence officer and author, see entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
Sold at Sotheby's, London, 09 May 2017 (lot 74, items i and iii). Item iv, not in this collection, was a printed copy of The Letters of T.E. Lawrence (Jonathan Cape, 1938), inscribed to Eileen Hutchin by Hen[ry].
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased with the help of the Rose Fund from Bernard Quaritch, 2017.
- Catalogue of photographs relating to T.E. Lawrence, with letters from Sarah Lawrence to Mrs Hutchins, c.1911-1952
- Rachael Marsay
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Catalogued with the generous support of the Roy Davids bequest