Guardbook containing Romanes lectures delivered at Oxford, 1976-1983
- (fols. 1-40) Iris Murdoch, 'Why Plato banished the artists', manuscript draft, 1975; lecture delivered 13 Feb 1976
- (fols. 41-67) George Porter, 'Science and the human purpose', photocopy of typescript, signed, 1978-1979; lecture delivered 23 Nov 1978
- (fols. 68-85) Hugh Maxwell Casson, 'The arts and the academies', signed and annotated typescript, 1979-1980; lecture delivered 13 Nov 1979
- (fols. 86-126) Joseph Grimond, 'Is political philosophy based on a mistake?', signed and annotated typescript, 1980-1981; lecture delivered 2 Dec 1980
- (fols. 127-137) A.J.P. Taylor, 'War in our time', annotated typescript, 1981-1982; lecture delivered 9 Feb 1982
- (fols. 138-165) Andrew Huxley, 'Biology, the physical sciences and the mind', typescript, 1982-1983; lecture delivered 24 Feb 1983
- (fols. 166-190) Owen Chadwick, 'Religion and society', signed and annotated typescript, 1983-1984; lecture delivered 17 Nov 1983
- Creation: 1975-1984
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Top. Oxon. c. 658, fols. 1-2].
MS. Top. Oxon. c. 658
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 22786
Guardbook containing Romanes lectures
Biographical / Historical
- Dame Iris Murdoch (1919-1999) was a novelist and philospher.
- Sir George Porter (1920-2002), Baron Porter of Luddenham was a chemist.
- Sir Hugh Casson (1910-1999) was an architect.
- Jo Grimond (1913-1993) was a politician.
- A.J.P. Taylor (1906-1990) was a historian.
- Sir Andrew Huxley (1917-2012) was a physiologist.
- Owen Chadwick (1916-2015) was a clergyman, church historian and college head.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the library by the authors at various dates, 1978-1984.
- Murdoch | Dame | (Jean) Iris | 1919-1999 | novelist and philosopher (Person)
- Porter | Sir | George | 1920-2002 | Baron Porter of Luddenham, chemist (Person)
- Casson | Sir | Hugh Maxwell | 1910-1999 | architect (Person)
- Grimond | Joseph | 1913-1993 | Baron Grimond, politician (Person)
- Taylor | Alan John Percivale | 1906-1990 | historian (Person)
- Huxley | Sir | Andrew Fielding | 1917-2012 | physiologist (Person)
- Chadwick | (William) Owen | 1916-2015 | clergyman, church historian and college head (Person)
- Guardbook containing Romanes lectures delivered at Oxford, 1976-1983
- EAD version 2023 by C. McIlwaine
- EAD version 2023
- Language of description
- Script of description