Papers of Sir Geoffrey Miles Clifford
Papers relating to service in Nigeria, Gibraltar, Cyprus, as Governor of the Falkland Islands, and as Chairman of the United Nigeria Group (Biafran War) and the Nigerian Electricity Supply Co. Ltd., 1930-1978.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 517].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 517
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 1252
Biographical / Historical
Sir Geoffrey Miles Clifford (1897-1986) entered the Colonial Administrative Service in Nigeria, 1921, rising to the post of Principal Assistant Secretary by 1938. He was seconded as Colonial Secretary, Gilbraltar, 1942-1944, then returned to Nigeria as Senior Resident, 1944. He served as chairman of the Salaries Commission, Cyprus, 1945, attached C.O., 1946, and Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the Falkland Islands, 1946-1954. He was a member of various organisations, including the British National Committee on Antarctic Research, the Mental Health Research Fund and the St. Paul's Cathedral Research Council, and Chairman of the United Nigeria Group (Biafran War) and the Nigerian Electricity Supply Co. Ltd.. He was awarded the KBE, CMG, ED and the Médaille de la Résistance Française avec Rosette. He was married twice, first to Ivy Dorothy Eland in 1920, and secondly to Mary Turner.
Other Finding Aids
Listed as no. 574 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were donated by Lady Clifford to the library through the Oxford Colonial Records Project, on 8th July 1986.
- 20th century
- Biafran Conflict, 1967-1970
- Business enterprises -- Nigeria -- History -- 20th century
- Clifford | Geoffrey Miles | 1897-1986 | Sir | Knight and colonial administrator
- Cyprus -- History -- British rule, 1878-1960
- Falkland Islands -- History -- 20th century
- Gibraltar -- History -- 20th century
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Administration
- Nigeria -- History -- 20th century
- Nigeria -- History -- Civil War, 1967-1970
- Nigerian Electricity Supply Co. Ltd.
- Papers of Sir Geoffrey Miles Clifford
- Paul Davidson
- Language of description