Ramsay family papers
Ramsay family papers, comprising:
- seven letters written from St. Petersbourg by Caroline, wife of Sir John Borlase Warren, ambassador-extraordinary there. The recipients include Lady Clavering, Lady Brooke Pechell, and Lady Cecilia Johnston, 1802-1803
- letter from l'abbé Girot to 'Madame', 1819
- one letter from Sir Thomas Brooke Pechell to the wife of the Landgrave of Hamburg (?), 1824; three letters apparently written by Lady Charlotte Brooke Pechell to Captain George Pechell, R.N., commenting on current politics, 1834-1835; a collection of medical recipes mostly in Italian
- three photographs of portraits of Lady Diana Clavering, her daughter Lady Charlotte Pechell, and her son-in-law Sir Thomas Brooke Pechell, Bt.
- oleographic reproduction of a portrait of Caroline, wife of Sir John Borlase Warren. Mounted in heavy gold frame
- two letters from Tooke, Hallowes and Price to Sir Henry Dryden, 4th Bt., concerning the Tusmore and Errington estates, 1857 and 1886
- the diary of Mrs. William Ramsay (neé Dryden of Canons Ashby) written in the Ladies Daily Companion for 1815
- three commissions appointing William Fermor Ramsay ensign in the 54th Regiment of Foot 1849, cornet in the Queen's Own Regiment of Oxfordshire Yeomanry Cavalry 1857, and lieutenant in that regiment 1858
- two regimental sashes belonging to William Fermor Ramsay
- miscellaneous collection of letters and notes concerning the Ramsay family; a photograph of the Rev. Norman Robert Ramsay of Radclive, Buckinghamshire, son of William Fermor Ramsay, 20th century; a scrapbook of the Ramsay family compiled 1963 which includes a view of Aynho,c.1850
- copy of M.R. James, Abbeys, 1925
- a framed print of William of Wykeham, 1738; and a framed pen and wash drawing of Winchester Cathedral, n.d.
- C.L. Tredcroft, Recollections of Seventy Years (1904)
- Creation: 1738-1963
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. Dep. a. 29, fols. 1-2].
Dep. a. 29
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 10811
Ramsay family papers.
Biographical / Historical
No biographical information is known.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Recollections of Seventy Years by C.L. Tredcroft was given by Mrs. Edith Tredcroft but put with these papers to which it relates. The remaining items were deposited by Mrs. W.A. Ramsay in 1966.
- Ramsay family papers
- EAD version 2022 by Marion Lowman
- EAD version 2022
- Language of description
- Script of description