Papers of Reggie Norton, Oxfam Field Secretary for Latin America
Papers relating to a study group on Oxfam policy, established in May 1974, which Reggie Norton co-ordinated. The group's work led to the statement 'Oxfam: An Interpretation', setting out Oxfam's vision of the world and its role.
- Oxfam internal correspondence, minutes of meetings, reports and contributions to a draft statement about Oxfam's role, 1972-1974. Includes a letter from Xavier Albo of the Centre for Investigation and Promotion of the Peasantry, Bolivia, in response to Norton's request for a 'Third World' view of what Oxfam should be doing.
- Background papers and reports, 1964-1974, with decennial report from the Director of Oxfam to the Executive Council of Management, Mar 1984.
- Creation: 1964-1984
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 21260].
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 21260
Papers of Reggie Norton, Oxfam Field Secretary for Latin America.
Biographical / Historical
Reggie Norton served as Town Clerk of Gibraltar from 1962 until 1969. He left to work for Oxfam, serving as Field Secretary for Latin America until 1975 when he became Field Director for the Caribbean and Central America until 1979 and led Oxfam's response to the Guatemalan earthquake in 1976.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated to the Bodleian Library by Reggie Norton in 2021.
- A Cause for our Times. Oxfam the first 50 years Maggie Black (Oxfam, 1992)
- Norton | Reggie | b.1933 | Oxfam Field Secretary for Latin America (Person)
- Oxfam GB (Organisation)
- Catalogue of the Papers of Reggie Norton, Oxfam Field Secretary for Latin America
- Lucy McCann
- Language of description
- Script of description