Correspondence between Trevor Hearl and Colin Fox about St Helena
Correspondence, 1992-2002, between Trevor Hearl and Colin Fox (mainly comprising letters from Hearl), with related papers, discussing the history of St Helena, particularly Fox's research into his Bennett family ancestors and the writing and publication of his book.
- Creation: Creation: Majority of material found within 1992-2001
- Creation: Creation: 1992-2007
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 21136].
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 21136
Correspondence between Trevor Hearl and Colin Fox about St Helena.
Biographical / Historical
Trevor Hearl (1924-2007) was one of the main authorities on the history of the Atlantic Ocean island of St. Helena. He amassed a vast collection of books and papers relating to the island which was received by the Bodleian Library following his death.
Hearl first visited St. Helena in 1969 as an education advisor when he was working as a lecturer at St. Paul's College, Cheltenham. This visit led to the formation of The Cheltenham-St. Helena Link, an organisation which linked the Cheltenham Colleges of St. Mary and St. Paul, and the University of Bristol School of Education, with the Education Department of St. Helena. The Link (which developed into The St. Helena Link) had been established at the request of the island's government to assist in its programme of teacher training.
Hearl's interest in St. Helena continued after his retirement from teaching and in 1990 he re-published Philip Gosse's history of the island. Hearl’s main writings were published in St. Helena Britannica: Studies in South Atlantic Island History, edited by A. H. Schulenburg (London: Society of Friends of St. Helena: distributor Miles Apart, 2013).
These biographical notes have been taken from the Spring 2007 issue of The Wirebird (the journal of the Friends of St. Helena) which was dedicated to Hearl.
Colin Fox has had a long interest in St Helena due to a family connection with the island and published books on its history. He was editor of Wirebird, the journal of the Friends of St Helena, from 2011 to 2021.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated to the Bodleian Library by Colin Fox in 2021.
- The Bennett Letters: a 19th century family in St Helena, England and the Cape by Colin Fox (Gloucester: The Choir Press, 2006)
- St Helena Britannica: studies in South Atlantic Island history by T.W. Hearl and A.H. Schulenburg (London: Society of Friends of St Helena, 2013)
- A precarious livelihood: St Helena 1834: East India outpost to crown colony: the Commissioners of Inquiry Report by H. R. Brandreth and E. Walpole, edited by Colin Fox and Edward Baldwin (Elvedon: Society of Friends of St Helena, 2014)
- A bitter draught: St Helena: the abolition of slavery 1792-1840 by Colin Fox (Elvedon: Society of Friends of St Helena, 2017)
- Catalogue of the Correspondence of Trevor Hearl and Colin Fox about St Helena
- Lucy McCann
- Language of description
- Script of description