Papers of Katherine Lewis
The papers comprise:
- the (empty) autograph album of Katherine Lewis
- letters removed from the album, 1860-1934, n.d., several to members of the Lewis family, mainly to Elizabeth, Lady Lewis, and Katherine Lewis, with some to George Lewis, 1st Bart. Many of the letters are from the same correspondents as in the main part of the Lewis papers (Dep. c. 831-853), including Sir James Barrie, Max Beerbohm, Sarah Bernhardt, George Moore, Camille Saint-Saëns, Richard Strauss, James Abbot Whistler and Oscar Wilde; the album also contains letters from Elgar, William Morris, Cecil Rhodes, John Ruskin, Paul Verlaine and Emile Zola (the last four not to members of the Lewis family).
- a letter about the ancestry of the Lewis family
- a letter from A.C. Swinburne to [Sir Edward Burne-Jones], 1882
- a volume of cookery recipes, collected mainly by Katherine Lewis, 20th century.
- 19th-20th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Don. b. 38].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Don. b. 38, b. 38*, d. 201
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 10556
Biographical / Historical
Katherine Lewis (d. 1961). Her father Sir George Lewis (1833-1911) was a preeminent London solicitor.
Other Finding Aids
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to unpublished catalogues.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library through the Friends of the Bodleian in 1996.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Barrie | Sir | James Matthew | 1860-1937 | 1st Baronet | playwright and novelist
- Beerbohm | Sir | Henry Maximilian | 1872-1956 | Knight | author and cartoonist
- Bernhardt | Sarah | 1844-1923
- Elgar | Sir | Edward William | 1857-1934 | Baronet | composer
- Lewis | Katherine Elizabeth | d 1961
- Lewis | Lady | Elizabeth | 1844-1931 | wife of Sir George Lewis
- Lewis | Sir | George Henry | 1833-1911 | 1st Baronet | solicitor
- Moore | George Augustus | 1852-1933 | author
- Morris | William | 1834-1896 | poet, artist, and socialist
- Rhodes | Cecil John | 1853-1902 | imperialist and benefactor
- Ruskin | John | 1819-1900 | author, artist, and social reformer
- Saëns | Charles Camille | Saint- | 1835-1921 | French pianist, organist, and composer
- Strauss | Richard Georg | 1864-1949 | German composer
- Swinburne | Algernon Charles | 1837-1909 | poet
- Verlaine | Paul | 1844-1896 | French poet
- Whistler | James Abbot McNeill | 1834-1903 | painter
- Wilde | Oscar O'Flahertie Wills | 1856-1900 | author
- Zola | Emile | 1840-1902 | French novelist
- Papers of Katherine Lewis
- Susan Thomas
- Language of description
- Script of description