Photographs relating to the Borneo Mission Association
Photographs of North Borneo, [1914-1983] and Sarawak, [1897-1973], including mission schools and churches, principal buldings in towns and major settlements, landscapes, diocesan events, and portraits of mission staff and native clergy.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Ind. Ocn. r. 20].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Ind. Ocn. r. 20
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 834
Biographical / Historical
The Borneo Mission Association was formed in 1909 to assist the work of the Anglican Church in Labuan, Sarawak and British North Borneo. Although it never sent out missionaries itself, Anglican missionaries had first visited Sarawak in 1848 at the invitation of James Brooke, its Rajah. From 1869 to 1909 Malaya, Singapore and Borneo had operated as a single diocese. However, a separate diocese was created for Sabah in 1962.
Other Finding Aids
Listed as no. 668 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996). A handlist is available for consultation in the library reading room.
The collection is based upon the photographs of Lawrence Eustace Currey, a lay missionary who served in the diocese, [1914-1926], though other photographs were later added to the original set.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was donated to the library by the Revd. Brian Taylor, Chairman of the Borneo Mission Association, in June 1989.
- Photographs relating to the Borneo Mission Association
- Paul Davidson
- Language of description