Modern calligraphy and illuminations by the West family at â€˜the Vane scriptorium, Northwood, Middlesex
- (item 1) Vergil, Georgics, Bk. 1, in the English prose translation of J.W. Mackail, with some quotations in the original Latin. Script and burnished gold by Cicely West, S.S.I., decoration by her father J. Walter West, R.W.S. The initial â€˜Iâ€™ on fol. 6v incorporates a portrait of the scribe. Three yearsâ€™ work, completed 15 October 1930 (fol. 28). Gold-tooled binding of green leather by Peter McLeish from a design by J. Walter West (the tools especially cut). i + 29 leaves.
- (item 2) Vergil, Georgics, Bk. 11, in the English prose translation of A. Hamilton Bryce. Script, gold and decoration as for item 1 (but the initial â€˜Fâ€™ on p. 19 decorated by Cicely West herself). Dated 1927 (p. 49). Binding as for item 1. x + 54 pages
- (item 3) Songs from Alfred Lord Tennysonâ€™s Idylls of the King. Script and burnished gold by Cicely West, 1926 (signed and dated on back pastedown). Gold-tooled binding of blue leather by Peter McLeish. i + 7 leaves.
- (item 4) Papers relating to the work of the West family, including (fols. 2-5) press-cuttings about item 1. (fol. 8) a photograph of the scribe and her father at work, and (fol. 9) a lithograph of Cicely West by her father. 9 leaves
- (item 5) Additional papers comprising: (fols. 1-4) a printed poem, 'Varenna-Lake Como' by J.W. West with a pencil drawing, 1913; (fols. 5-14) specimens and trials for calligraphic pieces by Cicely West, including two preliminary trials for a frontispiece for 'The Georgics of Virgil'; (fols. 15-17) photocopies of notes by J.W. West including a note of a visit to the Bodleian, 18 Apr 1929; (fol. 18) photograph of J.W. West and Cicely West studying their Georgics manuscript.
- Creation: 1913-1931
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. misc. c. 728/1, fols. 1-2].
MS. Eng. misc. c. 728
Dep. c. 596-598, e. 269
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 21499
Modern calligraphy and illuminations by the West family at â€˜the Vane scriptoriumâ€™, Northwood, Middlesex
Biographical / Historical
Joseph Walter West (1860-1933) was an artist. His daughter Cicely West (1897-1977) was an illuminator and calligrapher.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposited by Mrs Hugh Chesterman, sister of Cicely West, 1978 and converted to a gift, 1980. Further material (item 5) given by Sarah Geeson-Brown and the family of J. Walter West and Cicely West, 2014. Additional photograph in item 5 (fol. 18) given by Sarah Geeson-Brown, 2017.
- Modern calligraphy and illuminations by the West family at â€˜the Vane scriptoriumâ€™, Northwood, Middlesex
- EAD version 2021
- Language of description
- Script of description