Skip to main content

Catalogue of the library at Crowcombe Court, Somerset

 Single Item
MS. Eng. misc. c. 694

  • Request
    this
Volume comprising:
  1. (fols. 1-43) ‘A catalogue of the books belonging to the library at Crowcombe Court’, Somerset, giving author, title, and number of volumes, in shelf order, early 19th century (watermark 1798)
  2. (fols. 44-54) a catalogue of the manuscripts, in the hand of Sir Thomas Phillipps, 1835
  3. (fol. 55) a list of books missing in 1791, most of which were found ‘when the library was moved to the Gallery’ in 1868

Dates

  • 1835-1868

Extent

113 Leaves

Language of Materials

  • English

Preferred Citation

Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. misc. c. 694, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.

Shelfmark:

MS. Eng. misc. c. 694

Collection ID (for staff)

CMD ID 21487

Abstract

Catalogue of the library at Crowcombe Court, Somerset

Biographical / Historical

Crowcombe Court was built for Thomas Carew (1702-1766) in 1739. He was an antiquary and the MP for Minehead. On his death it was left to his son-in-law, James Bernard, who died in 1805. He was succeeded in 1811 by his late wife's cousin, Mary, wife of George Warrington who subsequently assumed the name Carew.

Custodial History

Bookplate of Thomas Carew Esq. (19th century)

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Bought, Sotheby’s, 24 July 1978, lot 312.

Physical Facet

Reversed calf, red leather label lettered 'Crowcombe Library' on upper cover, rebacked.
Title
Catalogue of the library at Crowcombe Court, Somerset
Status
Published
Date
EAD version 2021
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository

Contact:
Weston Library
Broad Street
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom