Facsimiles of letters by Jane Austen and poems by James Austen
Jane Austen, holograph letters. Comprises:
- (fol. 1) to her brother Francis, 1805-1813 (nos. 40-42, 68, 81, 85 in ed. by R.W. Chapman, 1952), with one from Lady Chandos to her daughter Mary Brydges, Constantinople 6 May 1686 (British Museum Add. MS. 42180)
- (fol. 15) to her sister Cassandra, 5 September 1796 (no. 5) (penes Harold Murdock, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Mass.), 28 December 1798 (no. 16) (penes Oliver R. Barrett), 20 February 1807 (no. 50) (Penes R.B. Adam), 10 January 1809 (no. 63) (Maine Historical Society), 26 October 1813 (no. 89) (penes Mrs. Henry Burke)
- (fol. 24) to Anne Sharp, 22 May 1817 (no. 145) (penes Miss. A.D. Sillar)
- (fol. 26) James Austen, seven poems (3 incomplete), holograph, 3 dated 1812 and 1814 (penes Captain Ernest Leigh Austen R.N.)
- Creation: originals dated between 1686 and 1817
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Facs. d. 92, fols. 1-2].
MS. Facs. d. 92, fols. 1-44
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 8130
Facsimiles of letters by Jane Austen and poems by James Austen.
Biographical / Historical
Jane Austen (1775–1817) was a novelist. For more details see the Dictionary of National Biography.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given by Robert William Chapman, Oct 1953.
Photographs, positive and negative photostats
- Facsimiles of letters by Jane Austen and poems by James Austen
- EAD version 2022 by Hannah Jordan
- EAD version 2022
- Language of description
- Script of description