Working papers of Dame Helen Gardner Relating to her Edition of The divine poems of John Donne
Working papers of Dame Helen Gardner relating to her edition of The divine poems of John Donne, including:
- letters from Herbert Grierson, 1943-50
- a typescript essay, 'The Date, Order and Interpretation of the Holy Sonnets', 
- an amended typescript 'Commentary', annotated 'Version sent to Press & sent back to be cut', n.d.
- Creation: 1943-1950, n.d.
0.22 Linear metres (2 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. c. 6076, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. c. 6076-6077
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13682
Working papers of Dame Helen Gardner Relating to her Edition of The divine poems of John Donne.
Biographical / Historical
Dame Helen Gardner (1908-86) was an English scholar and critic. See Who Was Who for details.
Other Finding Aids
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to unpublished catalogues.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library by Dame Helen Gardner, through Robert Shackleton, n.d. [but before April 1980].
- Working Papers of Dame Helen Gardner Relating to her Edition of The divine poems of John Donne
- Collection Level Description by Susan Thomas; EAD version 2021 by Hannah Jordan
- EAD version 2021
- Language of description
- Script of description