Photographs and photostats of Manuscripts of Marsilius of Padua, Defensor pacis
Photostats of manuscripts of Marcilius of Padua, Defensor pacis:
- Tortosa, Bibl. de Cabildo 141, fols. 1-100r, 14th century
- Vienna, Nationalbibliothek lat. 464, fols. 1-117r, 14th century
- Vienna, Nationalbibliothek lat. 809, fols. 1-123r, 15th century
- Bruges, Bibliothèque publique 557, fols. 1-10, 13-17, 19-20, 14th century
- Auxerre, Bibliothèque de la ville 19, fol. 3r, 14th century (photograph).
- Creation: photostats of 14th and 15th century originals
0.33 Linear metres (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Facs. d. 67, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Facs. d. 67-69
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13524
Photographs and photostats of Manuscripts of Marsilius of Padua, Defensor pacis.
Biographical / Historical
Marcilius of Padua (fl. 1277-1342) was an Italian political theorist who taught in Paris and Nuremberg. His Defensor pacis (1324) examined the roles of church and state.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library in 1941/1942 by Professor C.W. Previte-Orton.
- See C. W. Previté-Orton (ed.) The Defensor pacis of Marsilius of Padua (Cambridge: 1928).
- Photographs and photostats of Manuscripts of Marsilius of Padua, Defensor pacis
- Collection Level Description by Susan Thomas; EAD version 2022 by Hannah Jordan
- Language of description
- Script of description