Papers of Sidney Frederick Marriott
Letters, papers and photographs, c1875-1930.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Pac. s. 121].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Pac. s. 121
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 3140
Biographical / Historical
Sidney Frederick Marriott (d 1927) served as a sub-lieutenant in the Militia from 1877. In 1879 he was appointed an officer in the Armed Constabulary, Western Polynesia. He served as a stipendiary magistrate, Fiji from 1882 [and 1889] and as temporary Commandant of the Armed Native Constabulary, Fiji from 1888. He was made Governor's Commissioner for Colo West, Fiji in 1897 but was forced to retire through ill health the following year.
Other Finding Aids
The library holds a card index of all manuscript collections in its reading room.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were donated to the library by Marriott's grand-daughter, Mrs. P. Brewis on 19th July 1999.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- China -- Description and travel -- Views
- East Asia -- Description and travel -- Views
- Egypt -- Description and travel -- Views
- Fiji -- Description and travel -- Views
- India -- Description and travel -- Views
- Japan -- Description and travel -- Views
- Marriott | Sidney Frederick | d 1927 | Colonial administrator, magistrate and police officer
- Marriott | [c1879]-1942
- South America -- Description and travel -- Views
- Papers of Sidney Frederick Marriott
- Paul Davidson
- Language of description
- Script of description