Essay and television play by Stanley Gardner, with early nineteenth century manuscript book of conundrums
- Book containing 162 manuscript 'conundrums', with numbered answers at end of volume, early nineteenth century [c.1814-1820]. In several different hands. Also includes some pasted newspaper cuttings and a page of manuscript verse in French. Volume sold by Martin Keene Bookseller and Stationer, 6 College Green, Dublin.
- Fair copy printout of script for television play 'Fixing Things' by Stanley Gardner, n.d. Unpublished.
- Fair copy printout of essay entered for the Calvin and Rose G. Hoffman prize of 1995, 'Christopher Marlowe, Copernicus and Cleopatra', by Stanley Gardner (signed).
- Creation: c.1814-1995
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 21625].
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 21625
Essay and television play by Stanley Gardner, with early nineteenth century manuscript book of conundrums, c.1814-1995.
Biographical / Historical
Stanley Gardner (1921-1996) was educated at Hertford College, Oxford, where he achieved his B.Litt, M.A. and D.Phil degrees. Until his retirement in 1984, he was headmaster of Colchester Royal Grammar School. He wrote many books on William Blake and produced editions of works by Blake, Shakespeare, Dryden, and Keats.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gifted to the Bodleian Library in September 2021 by the Gardner family in memory of Stanley Gardner B.Litt D.Phil (Hertford College, Oxon) 1921-1996 and Helen Gardner 1919-2007.
These items were part of a collection of books gifted to the Bodleian Library which have been catalogued separately by Rare Books.
- Catalogue of essay and television play by Stanley Gardner, with early nineteenth century manuscript book of conundrums
- Rachael Marsay
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Catalogued with the generous support of the Roy Davids bequest