Gollancz publisher's file for To The Land of Fair Delight
The file relates to Gollancz's To the Land of Fair Delight: three Victorian tales of the imagination ( Mopsa the Fairy by Jean Ingelow, The Little Panjandrum's Dodo by G.E. Farrow and At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald) published in 1960 with an introduction by Noel Streatfeild.
The file includes:
- Typescript signed letter from J.R.R. Tolkien regarding Gollancz's request for him to provide a few lines on At the Back of the North Wind for publicity purposes, 1960.
- Correspondence with Marjorie Villiers of The Harvill Press, and Marion Fox (Mrs Stephen Ward) regarding Mopsa the Fairy and Jean Ingelow, 1959-1960.
- Correspondence between Gollancz and Lord David Cecil regarding the introduction, 1959.
- Correspondence with The Faith Press and Gillian Cockshut regarding The Little Panjandrum's Dodo, 1959-1960.
- Typescript fair copy of Noel Streatfeild's introduction (7 pages, signed) and associated correspondence, Jul-Sep 1959.
- Correspondence with Franklin Watts, New York, regarding US edition of To the Land of Fair Delight, 1960-1962.
- Certificate of renewal from the US Copyright Office, 1988.
- Letter from Colin Scott-Sutherland enquiring about The Little Panjandrum's Dodo and G.E. Farrow, 1996.
- Creation: 1959-1996
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 21345].
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 21345
Gollancz publisher's file for To The Land of Fair Delight, 1959-1996.
Biographical / Historical
For biographical information on Lord David Cecil, Noel Streatfeild, and J.R.R. Tolkien, see the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased by the Bodleian Library with the support of the Roy Davids Fund from Kenny's Bookshop and Art Gallery, 2021.
- Catalogue of Gollancz publisher's file for , 1959-1996
- Rachael Marsay
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Catalogued with the generous support of the Roy Davids bequest