Silver gelatine print by Henri Cartier-Bresson and associated documents
Held in our offsite storage facility
- 'Sunday on the Banks of the River Seine', 1938; silver gelatine print by Henri Cartier-Bresson; signed and dedicated 'to Dr. Hazel Rossotti / Henri Cartier-Bresson / en souireuir du 25 Juin 1975'; framed
- Typewritten note by Hazel Rossotti, September 1997; explains the provenance of the photograph and how she nominated Cartier-Bresson for an honorary doctorate at Oxford University; 1 page
- Handwritten letter by John G. Griffith to Hazel Rossotti, 29th December 1974; discussing Cartier-Bresson’s presentation address; 1 page, double-sided
- Typewritten script of Cartier-Bresson’s presentation address, by John G. Griffith; 2 pages, single-sided
- Typewritten script of Cartier-Bresson’s presentation address in Latin, by John G. Griffith; 1 page
- Order of Proceedings for the Encaenia, 25th June 1975; 4 page booklet
- Address for the Ecaenia, 25th June 1975; 30 page booklet
- Two inkjet colour photographs of Cartier-Bresson at the Encaenia garden party; modern prints on office paper; likely taken by Hazel Rossotti and printed by Heather Rossotti
- Photocopy of a handwritten letter by Henri Cartier-Bresson to Geoffrey Caston, Nov 19th 1974; Cartier-Bresson’s acceptance of his honorary doctorate; 1 page.
- Creation: Majority of material found within Bulk, 1974-1975
- Creation: 1938-1975
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 21808 Photogr., fol. 1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MS. 21808 Photogr.
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 21808
'Sunday on the Banks of the River Seine'; a silver gelatine print by Henri Cartier-Bresson; signed and dedicated to Dr. Hazel Rossotti, as thanks for her nomination of Cartier-Bresson for an honorary doctorate at Oxford University. Also included are the order of proceedings from the 1975 Encaenia ceremony and transcripts of the address that the university orator John G. Griffith gave to Cartier-Bresson.
Biographical / Historical
In 1974, Hazel Rossotti, a fellow of St Anne's College, nominated the photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson for an honorary doctorate at Oxford University. Cartier-Bresson was delighted, and gifted Rossotti one of his photographs by way of thanks. Rossotti also kept the order of proceedings from the 1975 Encaenia ceremony and transcripts of the address that the university orator John G. Griffith gave for Cartier-Bresson.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Heather Rossotti, on behalf of Hazel Rossotti. Heather Rossotti, is executor of Hazel Rossotti's will, in which the photograph was left to the Ashmolean. The Ashmolean’s Western Art Department considered the Bodleian to be a more suitable home for the print and Heather Rossotti agreed to donate the photograph and associated documents and ephemera.
- Catalogue of a photograph by Henri Cartier-Bresson and associated documents
- Finding aid prepared by Phillip Roberts
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom