An exercise book in the handwriting of King Edward VI
An exercise book in the handwriting of king Edward VI, and dated between Jan. 3, 1549/50, and June 4, 1552. The exercises are:
- Fol. 1. a list of Greek words corresponding to Latin words in Cicero De Finibus and the 1st book of the Tusculanae Disputationes
- On fol. 14v is 'E R' ('Edwardus rex' ?); the king's name does not elsewhere occur, but from about 1648 the volume was called 'Ed. 6. Exercitia scholast.'
- Fol. 15. 'Phraseis ex Πολιτεɩα του Πλατωνος', a list of Greek phrases
- Fol. 25. Latin phrases from Orations of Cicero
- Creation: Written A.D. 1550-1551 by King Edward VI
Language of Materials
- Greek, Modern (1453-)
Conditions Governing Access
To ensure its availability to future readers, access to this material is restricted, and readers are asked to work from reproductions and published descriptions as far as possible. To apply to see the original, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org, outlining the subject of your research, the importance of this material to that research, and the resources you have already consulted. Please also tell us about the timeframe for your project, if any, and when you hope to visit.
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Bodl. 899, fols. 1-2]
MS. Bodl. 899
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 18100
An exercise book in the handwriting of King Edward VI.
Biographical / Historical
King Edward VI (1537-1553) ruled England and Ireland between 1547 and 1553.
The original volume was taken to pieces and re-arranged by the late Librarian Mr. Nicholson on April 17, 1901.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 3030
Manuscript 2904 acquired by the Bodleian Library
Immediate Source of Acquisition
'Ex dono Doctissimi viri P. Junij Bibliothecarij Regij Anno Domini 1639.'
Existence and Location of Copies
R.Films.101 is a surrogate.
On paper, bound in limp parchment with gold ornament
12 3/4 × 8 3/4 in.
- An exercise book in the handwriting of King Edward VI
- EAD version 2020 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description