Music manuscripts of Harold E. Watts
Music manuscripts of Harold Ernest Watts; autographs unless otherwise stated. Titles are taken from the manuscripts, unless in square brackets.
- 1894-1955, n.d.
1.2 linear metres (39 boxes)
Language of Materials
English and Latin
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. b. 588].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Mus. b. 588-595, c. 796-808, d. 333-350
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 15549
Music manuscripts, mainly autographs of Harold E. Watts, 1894-1955, n.d.
Biographical / Historical
Harold Ernest Watts was an organist, choirmaster, teacher and composer. Probably born around 1878, he received his early training at Worcester Cathedral and later held a succession of organists’ posts, including St John’s Church, Battersea (1899-1900), Deputy Organist of St Peter the Great, Worcester (1901-1903), Wheathampstead Parish Church, St Albans (from 1903) and St Peter’s, Paddington (from 1915). He was Principal of the London Correspondence School of Music during the 1940s, and continued to offer private music teaching from his home in Enfield until at least the mid-1950s. Watts published a small quantity of vocal music – chiefly anthems, unison songs and a few piano and organ pieces – between 1901 and 1949, and was the author of the book Choir training in church and school: a series of short papers on the teaching of singing in schools and choirs, published in London by The Vincent Music Company, probably in 1909. His date of death is not known.
The music manuscripts in this archive are arranged in categories of scoring, within which they follow a chronological order. Undated items are listed in alphabetical order at the end of each category.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from the Library of the Royal Academy of Music, 2011.
- John Henderson, A directory of composers for organ, 3rd rev. and enlarged ed. (Swindon: J. Henderson, 2005).
- 20th century
- Brass band music
- Choruses, Sacred (Mixed voices), Accompanied
- Choruses, Sacred (Mixed voices), Unaccompanied
- Choruses, Secular (Mixed voices), Accompanied
- Choruses, Secular (Mixed voices), Unaccompanied
- Orchestral music
- Songs with orchestra
- Songs with piano
- Watts | Harold Ernest | b c 1878 | organist, choirmaster, teacher and composer
- Catalogue of the music manuscripts of Harold E. Watts, 1894-1955, n.d.
- Finding aid prepared by Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note