Papers of Godfrey Boyd Shannon relating to Australia, New Zealand and Canada
Held in our offsite storage facility
- Diary of a visit to Australia and New Zealand as Private Secretary to Lord Hartington, 17 Sep 1936-5 Feb 1937, with note of his first impressions of Australia, list of speeches made by Lord Hartington, general programme for the visit and photograph of Lord Hartington (i + 113 folios).
- Memoranda by Shannon on 'The Political Situation in New Zealand', Mar 1939, 'Maoris', Apr 1941, and 'Notes on New Zealand - 1939-1941' (36 folios).
- Various papers relating to Shannon's work comprising: three versions of a minute on Commonwealth relations after the war, 3 Jul 1943; two versions of 'Imperial Relations, with special reference to Education', Aug 1943; 'United Kingdom or British Commonwealth. Foreign Policy' relating to the organisation of the post-war international order, c.1943-1944; two papers relating to the International Civil Aviation Conference in Chicago, Nov-Dec 1944; 'Commonwealth Co-operation in Foreign Policy' being notes for a talk by Shannon to new Foreign Office recruits, winter 1947-1948; draft report by Shannon on a visit to South Africa and Basutoland, Apr 1958; personal impressions by Shannon of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), Geneva, Jun 1964; note by Shannon on the Commonwealth Preference system in relation to trade, Dec 1966; anonymous note on the Sovereign's Power of Dissolution, n.d.
- Letters to his mother from Shannon while visiting Australia and New Zealand, Sep 1936-Jan 1937. With information on dinners and other events attended (70 folios).
- Letters to his mother from Shannon while serving at the High Commissioner's Office in New Zealand, Nov 1938-Apr 1940. Includes press cuttings and four photographs (282 folios).
- Letters to his mother from Shannon while Deputy High Commissioner in Canada, Jan 1949-Nov 1950 (56 folios).
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 5779].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 5779
Papers of Godfrey Boyd Shannon primarily relating to Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
Biographical / Historical
Godfrey Eccleston Boyd Shannon (1907-1989) was educated at St. John's College, Cambridge. He joined the Dominions Office in 1930 and visited Australia and New Zealand as Private Secretary to Lord Hartington in 1936-1937. He was subsequently appointed to the United Kingdom High Commissioner's Office in New Zealand, 1939-1941, and served on the United Kingdom delegation for various international conferences between 1944 and 1948, including one in Moscow. He was the United Kingdom's Deputy High Commissioner in Canada, 1948-1950, in Calcutta, 1952-1956, and on the UK delegation to the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) in 1964.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated to the Bodleian Library by Godfrey Boyd Shannon in 1979.
- Catalogue of the Papers of Godfrey Boyd Shannon relating to Australia, New Zealand and Canada
- Finding aid prepared by Lucy McCann
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom