Watercolours, drawings and prints associated with Halstead Place
Held in our offsite storage facility
- Material from Anna Atkins, née Children, comprising: five childhood drawings of an arched stone structure with finials, a thatched house with pantiled farm buildings (with trial sketches of two heads verso), gable end of a stone house, entrance to ruins signed 'Anna-June', and a castle; pencil sketch on card marked 'Recollection of a view from a hill near Woolston', c. 1820s; monkey watercolour, c. 1820s-1830s; parrot watercolour and pencil outline (with cat watercolour verso), c. 1830s; pencil drawing of two ladies in formal dress, c. 1850s; pen and ink butterfly over pencil outline, n.d.; lithograph of Otford Place, c. 1850-1860; lithograph [?] of an unidentified country house, c. 1820-1850.
- Material relating to the interests and activities of J.G. Children, comprising: Children's copy of Cockerell printed architectural drawings of offices at the Bank of England, inscribed to him, c. 1835; early plan of the British Museum, pre 1854; print headed 'J. Barton's patent hydraulic machine', c. 1830s; lithograph 'Duria antiquior', portraying prehistoric animals, c. 1830; circular for the Zoological Society with an annexed lithograph plan of a garden, 1827.
- Scientific-related material, comprising: six maps of the stars, 1830; 'J. Snart's permutations', ; loose plate of a Victoria water lily, n.d.; loose plate of the aurora borealis, n.d.
- Miscellaneous prints, comprising: lithograph map of Alabastron, c. 1826-1836; lithograph 'Ja'far, son of the Sultan of Wadai. Drawn from life at Alexandria July 1827', original possibly drawn by the amateur artist Mary Anne Theresa (1784-1850), n.d.; prints by Georgina North (1798-1835), 'Dream of Oberon' and 'The Fairy. Lost! Lost! Lost.', c. 1813-1835; nine small intaglio prints and a larger print depicting Acts 3:6 KJV, 1837; lithograph reproduction of a medieval manuscript page illustration, n.d.; printed plan of a volcanic island, n.d.; print of a classical female sculpture, 1817; print of a clothed monkey, n.d.; lithograph of funeral vessels, drawn by Maria Dixon, c. 1840s; print 'The Morning Room of the Reform Club', Illustrated London News 1890; proof lithograph portrait of a bearded man, c. 1880-1890; lithograph 'Views on the Baltimore and Ohio railroad', 1831.
- Drawings possibly produced by amateurs within the Halstead Place circle, comprising: five views, pencil sketches of a cat, mouse, birds and plants, and two flower watercolours, by [Sarah] Elizabeth Adams, possibly the niece of Anna Atkins' father-in-law, 1806-1829; two pencil drawings of a house and a smaller, more precise illustration, n.d.; pencil drawing 'Caister Castle', Sep 1834; drawing of a landscape with goats, 1789, and a riverside building with bridge, 1787, by 'E.J.'; drawing of a mill amongst trees, n.d.; three large pencil and chalk drawings on blue paper, c. 19th century; four pencil drawings of landscapes with dominant trees, c. 19th century; three small landscape drawings endorsed '3 Drawings done by Miss Gregg for E.A. [Elizabeth Adams]', n.d.; sepia watercolour of a woman with a broom in a landscape of trees and sheep, and two chalk landscapes, possibly by Miss Gregg, c. 1800-1849; drawing 'Fountains Abbey', n.d.; convolvulus major watercolour by 'M.C.', 1829.
- Photograph of Beachy Head lighthouse, post 1902.
- c. 1787-1902
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 12466].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12466
Watercolours, drawings and prints associated with Halstead Place.
Biographical / Historical
Halstead Place, near Sevenoaks, Kent, was the family home of Anna Atkins, née Children, an English botanist and photographer. Her father was the chemist John George Children, who lived at Halstead in his later years. For more information see the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Delivered to Richard Ovenden by Gwen Bowen in May 2017.
- Catalogue of Watercolours, Drawings and Prints associated with Halstead Place
- Finding aid prepared by Meg Woodward
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom