Manuscripts of Robert Collier, 2nd Baron Monkswell
The manuscripts comprise:
- anecdotes of public figures by Robert, 2nd Baron Monkswell, c. 1900, some related by his father, including several concerning W.E. Gladstone, Thomas Huxley, A.P. Primrose, Frederic Baron Leighton, Edward VII when Prince of Wales, Oliver Wendell Holmes, junior, and Alfred Lord Tennyson. Many relate to Monkswell's time as Lord-in-Waiting to the Queen, 1892-1895;
- accounts by Lord Monkswell of conversations with John Wodehouse, 1st Earl of Kimberley, on 25 May, 21 July 1901 and 9 Feb. 1902, in a notebook originally used for brief notes on legal cases, 1871;
- a narrative of political events from June 1855 to July 1867 written on loose sheets by Lord Monkswell, as an account of the inconsistencies of Disraeli in opposition and in office.
- [c. 1855-c.1900]
0.30 linear metres (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. Dep. d. 837].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
Dep. d. 837-839
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 10353
Manuscripts of Robert Collier, 2nd Baron Monkswell, Lord-in-Waiting and politician
Biographical / Historical
Robert Collier (1845-1909), 2nd Baron Monkswell, was a Lord-in-Waiting and politician. Details are given in Who Was Who.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposited in the Library by W.O. Collier in 1995.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Collier | Robert Porrett | 1817-1886 | 1st Baron Monkswell
- Collier | Robert | 1845-1909 | 2nd Baron Monkswell
- Disraeli | Benjamin | 1804-1881 | Earl of Beaconsfield | statesman
- Edward | VII | 1841-1910 | King of Great Britain and Ireland
- Gladstone | William Ewart | 1809-1898 | statesman
- Great Britain -- Politics and Government -- 19th century
- Holmes | Oliver Wendell | 1841-1935 | American jurist
- Huxley | Thomas Henry | 1825-1895 | scientist
- Leighton | Frederic | 1830-1896 | Baron Leighton of Stretton | painter
- Primrose | Archibald Philip | 1847-1929 | 5th Earl of Rosebery | statesman
- Tennyson | Alfred | 1809-1892 | 1st Baron Tennyson | poet
- Wodehouse | John | 1826-1902 | 1st Earl of Kimberley | politician
- Manuscripts of Robert Collier, 2nd Baron Monkswell
- Collection Level Description by Susan Thomas; EAD version 2021 by Simon Mackley.
- EAD version 2021
- Language of description
- Script of description