Correspondence relating to Who Runs This Place? (London: John Murray, 2004), 2003-2004
(fols. 1-19) correspondence with possible interviewees and contributors, 2003-2004.
(fols. 20-58) correspondence with his researcher, James Sanders, 2003.
(fols. 59-147) correspondence (letters and printouts of email) with his editor, Peter James, relating to the work in progress, 2003-2004; some of the correspondence is copies supplied by Peter James, at the request of Sampson's widow, Sally, in 2006.
(fols. 148-167) correspondence with Sam Evans, of John Murray, relating to the launch party, 2004.
(fols. 168-204) post-publication correspondence, 2004, including letters from:
- (fol. 192) Beloff, Michael, President of Trinity College, Oxford, 2004
- (fols. 194-197) Branson, Richard, Chairman of Virgin Retail Group, 2004
- (fol. 169) Spooner, James, accountant, 2004
- (fols. 174, 177-181) Stothard, Peter Michael, editor of the Times Literary Supplement, 2004
- (fol. 170) Tomalin, Claire, writer, 2004
- (fols. 182-185) Wilson, Richard, Master of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, 2004
(fols. 205-210) correspondence with Mary James relating to his appearance at the Aldeburgh Literary Weekend, 2004.
- Creation: 2003-2004
Language of Materials
MS. Sampson dep. 77