MS. Sampson dep. 25
- copy letters to William Heinemann Ltd. concerning the publication of The Treason Cage: The Opposition on Trial in South Africa (London: Heinemann, 1958) and the lack of availability of the book in Johannesburg, 1957-1958, typescript
- correspondence and photocopies of correspondence with Emperor Haile Selassie I and Meba Selassie Alemu, Press Secretary to the Emperor, regarding Anatomy of Britain, Sampson's audience with the Emperor, and a subsequent article by him published in the Observer, 1963-1964, typescript and manuscript
- photocopies of correspondence with Alistair Horne, [writer and historian], regarding serial rights for the Observer to Horne's 'The Fall of France', should it be published, 1965, and two letters from Horne regarding the proof of an obituary by Sampson, 1987, and the second volume of Horne's biography of Harold Macmillan, 1988, 1965-1988, typescript and manuscript
- letter from Richard Hoggart, [Chairman of the Statesman and Nation Publishing Company Ltd.], on behalf of the directors of the New Statesman inviting Sampson to join the Board of Directors, 16 Oct. 1978, typescript
- correspondence with Archbishop Trevor Huddleston and related papers concerning the publication of articles by him in the Observer, 1980-1982, money made available to Humphry Berkeley, [politician], from the International Defence and Aid Fund, of which Huddleston was a trustee, 1982, his disappointment with the British government's inaction on apartheid, his uncertainties about his own future in retirement, 1983, and other matters, 1956-1983, typescript and manuscript. Comprises fourteen letters from Huddleston and related papers.
- letter from Michael Heseltine, MP, in response to a suggestion that he is anti-American, 24 Jan. 1986, typescript
- three letters from Edward Heath, MP, regarding an edition of Sampson's newsletter, [The Sampson Letter], a copy of The Oxford Book of Ages received as a birthday gift, and other matters, mainly social, 1985-1991, typescript
- letter from Michael Holroyd, [biographer], praising Sampson's writing about his grandfather, John Sampson, and referring to his own research on Augustus John, artist, 24 Nov. 1993, word-processed
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Some material is closed.
MS. Sampson dep. 25