Notes and extracts by Dr. Edward Lhuyd, keeper of the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, c.1700
Among which are:
- (fol. 2). Extracts from 'A collection of Highland rites & customes,' by -- Kirkwood, a MS. then in the possession of Sir Robert Sibbald.
- (fol. 40). 'The Dutchesse of Cornwall's progresse to see the Land's End & to visit the Mount': beg. 'It was order'd that all jornalls.'
- (fol. 46). 'Out of one of the several MSS. writ by Sir Robert Sibbald, The History of the Picts ...'
- (fol. 64). French-Breton dialogues, beg. '... Comment vous porte vous ? penaos a chanoch hu.'
- (fol. 99v). 'Kyviethad lhyvr Kernawæg o waith Mr. John Keygwyn.' This is John Keigwyn's English translation of the Cornish poem on the Passion of Christ (or 'Mount Calvary') which begins 'Tays ha mab ha Sperissans,' now in Brit. Mus. MS. Harl. 1782. A specimen of the original is on fol. 31v, and other short Cornish pieces are at fols. 39a (Lord's Prayer, Apostles' Creed, Ten Commandments), 41, 99r.
- (fol. 129v). 'A coppy of Sir Robert Sibbald's paper, directions for his honoured friend Mr. Lhwyd how to trace ... the Roman wall betwixt Forth & Clide.'
- Creation: c.1700
Language of Materials
MS. Carte 269
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. III, no. 10714.
- From the Collection: Butler | James | 1610-1688 | 1st Duke of Ormonde | soldier and statesman (Person)
- From the Collection: Carte | Thomas | 1686-1754 | historian (Person)
- From the Collection: Davies | Sir | John | 1569-1626 | Knight | Attorney General of Ireland and Poet (Person)
- From the Collection: Fitzwilliam | Sir | William | 1526-1599 | Knight | Lord Deputy of Ireland (Person)
- From the Collection: Middleton | Charles | c. 1650-1719 | 2nd Earl of Middleton | statesman (Person)
- From the Collection: Montagu | Edward | 1625-1672 | 1st Earl of Sandwich | admiral (Person)
- From the Collection: Nairne | David | fl 1720 | Secretary to the Pretender (Person)
- From the Collection: Wharton | Philip | 1613-1696 | 4th Baron Wharton (Person)
- From the Collection: Wharton | Thomas | 1648-1716 | 1st Marquess of Wharton (Person)