Papers of Birrell & Garnett Ltd, 1920-1939
Biographical / Historical
Birrell & Garnett was founded in 1920 by Francis Birrell (1889-1935) and David Garnett (1892-1981). In 1922 Ralph Wright became a partner. Pollard bought Garnett's share in the summer of 1924. In 1927 Jane Norton (1893-1962), the bibliographer of Gibbon, bought the shares of Birrell and Wright, and in July 1927 the firm was reorganized as a limited company, with Jane Norton and Graham Pollard as directors, and Frances Marshall (later Frances Partridge) as secretary. The company went into voluntary liquidation in March 1939. The new books department was sold to Bernard Quaritch Ltd. Negotiations for the purchase of the goodwill of the antiquarian business by the Dutch bookseller, Menno Hertzberger, were interrupted by the German invasion of Holland.