Working papers, c. 1940s-c.1985
Comprises files entitled:
- 'Penicillin, Clinical Use’: copies and photocopies of articles regarding penicillin and other topics by Florey, Gustav Fraenkel and others; photocopies of letters from J.F. Fulton to Florey [Dr John Farquhar Fulton, later Professor of Physiology at Yale, who helped with early penicillin work in the US and with whom the Florey children stayed during World War 2], 1942
- 'Penicillin History': offprints, booklets and copies of articles, press cuttings and other papers regarding the development of penicillin, 1940s-1980s. Includes original, key publications such as British Medical Bulletin, Vol 2, No 1, 1944, dedicated to penicillin, with articles by Garrod, Fleming, Florey and Chain.
- 'Penicillin, published papers by Oxford Team': offprints of papers by Florey, Chain and other team members regarding penicillin, and a signed copy of Moments of Discovery by Dorothy Hodgkin, the text of her Dalton Lecture to the Manchester Literary and Philosophical Society in 1981, 1982.
- 'Penicillin Commercial Production Heatley Diary': Copy entries from the personal diary of Norman Heatley relating to the early work on penicillin 1939-1941; William Gibson typescript on The Road to Discovery, 1980; articles, notes and timelines on penicillin production in the USA.
- 'Fleming, Publicity': papers regarding other works on Fleming, c.1958-c.1980, including Andre Maurois' biography published in English in 1959; a rehearsal script for the BBC 2 programme Biographies, Sir Alexander Fleming by Ian Curteis, n.d. ; 'newspaper publicity chronology' regarding penicillin and Fleming; notes by Macfarlane regarding Fleming. Maurois was commissioned by Lady Fleming to write a biography.
- c. 1940s-c.1985
1 box (5 folders)