Various papers, lectures, notes and reviews, 1921-1962
Dep. Collingwood 23
Held at the Weston Library
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/1), 'Notes for the Extension Lectures (1921) on which "Roman Britain" was based'. 30 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/2), Report of a paper on Roman Lancaster read by Collingwood to the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society on 31 Aug. 1922. [Published in the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Transactions Vol. 23 (1923), pp. 289-290.] 3 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/3), 'Roman Frontiers - a lecture delivered before the Newcastle Literary & Philosophical Society, Oct. 1 1922'. i + 25 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/4), 'Roman Inscriptions', a lecture given in Aug. 1923 to the Association for the Reform of Latin Teaching [see The Classical Review Vol. 37 (1923), p. 145]. 4 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/5), 'The Romans on the Wall - for Yorkshire Post...', 23 Aug. 1923. Written on the reverse of pp. 30, 34-6 of a manuscript concerning the conflicting claims of art, religion and science as various forms of experience, possibly an early draft of Ch. II of Speculum Mentis or the Map of Knowledge (1924). 4 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/6), 'Britain and the Roman Empire' [published in England and the World (1925), ed. F.S. Marvin, Ch. II, pp. 35-64], with (fol. 1) an accompanying letter to Teresa Smith from Angus Graham, 1962. 36 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/7), 'The Roman Wall - address to the English Historical Association at Newcastle, January 9, 1925'. 11 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/8), 'The Vallum Crossings... An excerpt from a paper on "Ten Years' Work on Hadrian's Wall, 1920-1930", to be published in Cumb. & West. A & A.S. Trans. N.S. xxxi: to be read at Kendal, April 22, 1931.' 14 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/9), 'The State of Britain at the time of the Anglo-Saxon Settlements - contribution to a discussion at a meeting of the Archaeological Institute, 1 February 1933'. i + 16 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/10), Review of The Roman Wall in Scotland (2nd ed., 1934) by Sir George Macdonald [published in the Journal of Roman Studies Vol. 26 (1936), pp. 80-6]. 23 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/11), 'The Bewcastle Cross', a paper read at the site on 19 June 1934 and published, in slightly amended form, in the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Transactions Vol. 35 (1935), pp. 1-29. 7 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/12), 'The Truth about the Vallum by INFELIX' Nov. 1935. 6 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/13), Pages 285-8 of the manuscript draft of Roman Britain and the English Settlements (1936) by Collingwood and J.N.L. Myres, corresponding to pages 320-4 of the printed edition. 10 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/14), Incomplete manuscript (pp. 3-17 only) on fifth-century Roman Britain, possibly part of 'Roman Britain from Constantine III to Arthur', a paper read to the Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies on 11 Feb. 1936 [see the Journal of Roman Studies Vol. 26 (1936) p. 302]. 15 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/15), 'Who was King Arthur? (paper to the Martlets, Univ. Coll. Oxon., June 1936)'. 15 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/16), 'Mayborough & King Arthur's Round Table', a paper read 8 July 1936. 9 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/17), 'King Arthur's Round Table: 1937', a report of excavations carried out by Collingwood. 4 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/18), Ground plan of 'King Arthur's Round Table 1937'. 1 leaf, tracing paper.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/19), 'The Roman Tombstone at Fordington', n.d. 3 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/20), 'Evidences of W. Saxons along historical route: Salisbury cemetery, Mildenhall. Odd burials Dorset'. Rough notes, n.d. 1 leaf.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/21), 'Notes on Hambledon...', n.d. 2 leaves.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/22), 'C[umberland] & W[estmorland] Prehistory, Cartmel 1935', a notebook containing information recorded at site surveys. i + 90 leaves, 16-90 blank.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/23), 'Round Table 1937', a notebook recording 'excavations at King Arthur's Round Table, Eamont Bridge, Westmorland, July 1937'. i + 88 leaves, 60-87 blank.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/24), 'Round Table Notebook 2. Parallel sites & illustrative material'. ii + 96 leaves, 35-46, 49-57, 61-96 blank.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/25), Notebook containing undated notes on '1. Dr. Hugh Todd's MS. at St. Edmund Hall. 2. Brndsted's Early English Ornament'. i + 89 leaves, 40-89 blank.
- (Dep. Collingwood 23/26), 'C[umberland & W[estmorland] Brit[ish] Sett[lement]s', a booklet containing drawings and sketches of sites, n.d. i + 30 leaves, 15-30 blank.
- Creation: 1921-1962
Language of Materials
Dep. Collingwood 23