Album belonging to William Lisle Bowles, 1795-1830
MS. Don. d. 210
- (fol. 2) print of a portrait of the Duke of York, 1825
- (fols. 3-10) W. L. Bowles, 'A sermon preached in the cathedral church of Sarum, at the triennial visitation of John, Lord Bishop of the diocese, on Friday, August 7, 1795' (Salisbury, 1795)
- (fols. 11-15) W.L. Bowles, 'A discourse, delivered to the military associations for the town and district of Shaftesbury, on Monday, December 3, 1798...' (Salisbury, 1799)
fols. 16-47) four issues of the London Literary Gazette, containing articles by W.L. Bowles, comprising:
- (fols. 16-23) no. 281, 8 Jun 1822
- (fols. 24-31) no. 478, 18 Mar 1826
- (fols. 32-39) no. 488, 27 May 1826
- (fols. 40-47) no. 582, 15 Mar 1828
(fols. 48-56) poems including:
- (fols. 48-49) W.L. Bowles, Banwell Cave, a version of part I of 'Banwell Hill', n.d.
- (fol. 50) W.L. Bowles, Seth Ward's Matrons (1830)
- (fols. 51-52) W.L. Bowles, Justice Room (n.d.), 'for the third edition of "Banwell Hill" '
- (fols. 53-54) Peregrine Bingham, 'Herculaneum'
- (fol. 55) Peregrine Bingham, 'Inscription for a shell...'
- (fol. 56) 'On revisiting a former residence', 1798
- (fol. 58) copy of an epitaph for Richard Boles in Winchester Cathedral, 1689
- (fols. 64, 72-78) a newspaper cutting and copies of letters, relating to the death of his nephew, Philip Bowles Burlton, in India, 1829-1830
- (fols. 79-88) 'Some account of the utility, as practically exemplified, of small clubs, in country villages,' 'by the wife of a clergyman' (Bath, 1825)
- (fols. 89-104) A report of the proceedings of a meeting held at Calne, on Tuesday, January 29th, 1828, relative to the conduct of the Rev. W.L. Bowles, in the case of Catherine Cook (Calne, )
MS. Don. d. 210
Inscribed (fol.1), 'Frances Lambert 1830'. Armorial bookplate inside upper board, of B. Jones-Bateman, Pentre Mawr and booklabel of John Sparrow.
Loose items removed from this volume, are MS. Don. c. 179, fols. 125-147.
Gilt-ruled half red calf, marbled boards.