Papers comprising Sotheby's July 1989 sale lot 165, c.1989, mainly n.d.
Comprises, with a list of the papers and descriptive notes compiled by Sotheby's cataloguer,
- Filing card from card index of research notes for 'The Nomadic Alternative' (see MSS. Eng. e. 3722-3723) n.d.
- Notes for 'The Nomadic Alternative' on incest taboo, totemic beasts and birds of military powers; essay 'Butch Cassidy as Gaucho'; notes on The Myth of the Machine by Lewis Mumford; essay 'The Scar of Wounded Knee', c.1972; notes on The Gypsies by Jan Yoors; essay 'The Guggenheims' [published as 'The Guggenheim Family' in Great American Families, 1978;
- Notes for 'The Nomadic Alternative' on Islam; Passover, Inner Asian Frontiers of China by Owen Lattimore; Steppe society; and Qashagi migration, 1971.
- miscellaneous extracts from an early draft of 'The Nomadic Alternative' on walk with grandfather to Eagle Stone; Sufis; early man; Taoists; John Steinbeck's 'Virus of Restlessness'; early man's observation of animals; and proposed outline of the book, n.d.
- Essay, written during undergraduate archaeology studies at the University of Edinburgh, on Le Corbusier, c.1968
- Draft chapter on gypsies 'The Hounds of the Wilderness' for 'The Nomadic Alternative'; and definition of the work 'nomad', n.d.
- Notes for 'The Nomadic Alternative' on Paleo-indian cultures; Ib'n Khaldun; and Herodotus, n.d.
- Notes for 'The Nomadic Alternative' on 'The Pyramid' with two filing cards on pyramids and on 'The satire of the Trades', n.d.
- Short story 'The Family', Jan. 1970
- Notes for 'The Nomadic Alternative' on outline of the book; Huns; Mesolithic hunters; early man's reflections on bird and animal migrations; group of Nemadi in Western Sahara; and on nomad children and attachment to their mother, n.d.
- Notes for 'The Nomadic Alternative' on Chatwin's early recollections of travel [later incorporated into The Songlines]; Proust's childhood explorations; how a child's craving and fondling of things persists into later life, and on theory of innate aggression, n.d.
- Working papers for 'The Nomadic Alternative' on 'The Nomadic Ideal'; Australian walkabout; anarchism; the Taoists; the Beghards; wandering as way to get rid of internalised violence; shamans; and city as chief target for nomad raids, n.d.
- Working papers for 'The Nomadic Alternative' on the story of a type-writer salesman; Chatwin's own autobiography; Proust; the bond established between mother and child; how invasion is generally followed by counter-invasion; Sufi mysticism; St John of the Cross; St Francis; and Cain and Abel, n.d.
- Creation: c.1989, mainly n.d.
Language of Materials
MS. Eng. c. 7877