Illustrated holiday diary of Mabel Pratt: English tours, 1954
Hardback notebook entitled, 'Varied Ventures with Sketch-book and Tent', recording various solo cycling holidays staying in her tent or in lodgings overnight. Pen-and-ink sketches and watercolours (mostly the latter) are stuck into the volume. There are two photographs of Mabel with her bicycle and tent on the front pastedown.
- (fols. 4v-12) 'Heigho for the Spring', holiday in Oxfordshire (Witney, Swinbrook, Asthall, Cassington), 24-27 Apr 1954
- (fols. 13-49) 'Mixed weather around Rye', holiday in Sussex and Kent, arriving by train at Ashford (visiting Romney marshes, Brookland, Rye, Camber Castle, Winchelsea, Lydd, Dungeness, Appledore), 9-24 Jun 1954
- (fols. 50-54r) 'Brief visit to Bibury', holiday in the Cotswolds, 14-16 Jul 1954
- (fols. 54v-60) 'Sketchless mileage', cycling holiday with her daughter Margaret, staying in youth hostels (Marlborough, Avebury, Ashton Keynes, Cirencester, Winchcomb, Cleeve Hill, Cheltenham, Gloucester, Duntisbourne Abbotts), 19-24 Aug 1954
- (fols. 59-80) 'From an island in the Thames', camping holiday at Day's Lock on the Thames, Oxfordshire (sketching Wittenham Clumps, Little Wittenham, Long Wittenham, Dorchester), 7-16 Sep 1954
- (fols. 81-90) 'Fisher Row. Oxford. demolished 1954-1955', watercolour sketches, written description and black and white photographs of the demolition of Fisher Row.
- Creation: 1954
Language of Materials
MS. Top. gen. d. 91