Atomic Scientists Association, 1946-1957
Peierls was a member of the Provisional Committee of the Association from its foundation in May 1946 and took an active part in its affairs. He served as President 1948-1950 in succession to Nevill Mott. The contents of the files include:
- The affairs of the Association, selection of officers, policy statement, meetings, speakers, conferences, finance, letters to the Press; includes draft of Peierls's 'President's Report' for 1949-1950.
- The aims of the Association: civil defence, problems of atomic energy, public awareness and information, national and international security problems, the Atomic Energy Bill, the 'Atomic Train' exhibition, etc.
- The Atomic Scientists' News: correspondence with editors, drafts of articles and letters for publication.
- The Atomic Energy Study Group: memos, drafts and papers on various topics (some by Peierls).
- Miscellaneous drafts for articles, letters, reports etc. by Peierls.
Note: The correspondence is not always complete; sometimes only carbons of Peierls's letters survive. See also MS. Eng. misc. b. 202/C.22, MS. Eng. misc. b. 202/C.23 and MS. Eng. misc. b. 204/C.54.
Peierls was in particularly close and frequent touch with Nevill Mott in connection with ASA; this correspondence has been kept as a separate file, MS. Eng. misc. b. 223/F.8. Mott was the first President of ASA 1946-1948, and again in 1950.
- Creation: 1946-1957
Language of Materials
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. b. 223/F.4-223/F.8