Papers relating to archaeological digs, 1927-c. 1967
Held in our offsite storage facility
- Folder 1: Letter from Winifred Gill to Margaret Bennett describing the Meare Lake Village dig, 1927.
- Folder 2: Meare Lake Village dig papers, including coloured illustrations of archaeological deposits and of reconstructed parts of a village, mounted photographs of the dig, and mounted newspaper clippings of Kikuyu villages used by Winifred Gill as a comparison to Meare Lake, c. 1927-1966. Also includes a letter from Michael Avery (Institute of Archaeology).
- Folder 3: Newspaper clippings on archaeology and anthropology marked ongoing interest, collected by Winifred Gill with reference to the Meare Lake Village dig.
- Folder 4: Publications on the Meare Lake Village dig, including Arthur Bulleid and the Lake Villages of Somerset by Stephen Dewar, offprint of lecture by Arthur Bulleid on the Somerset Lake Villages and The Burtle Sand Beds of Somerset by Arthur Bulleid. Also includes a letter from Nancy [Bulleid] and Winifred Gill's notebook on the dig. Dated c. 1928-1967
- Folder 5: Correspondence with Leonard Woolley, J. Wilfrid Jackson, Michael Avery and Nancy Bulleid regarding Meare Lake Village dig and finds, 1940-1960. Also includes a prospectus for Chalice Well Hostel, Glastonbury.
- Folder 6: Notes and sketches on archaeological sites in Anglesey and at Colliston Park, Dorchester, c. 1938.
- Creation: 1927-c. 1967
1 box (6 folders)
Language of Materials