Administration, trade, chiefs, judicial system and finance, 1902-1945
MSS. Lugard 56
- File 1, fols. 1-132: Correspondence about administration in Nigeria, much of it dealing with revision of Lugard's Political Memoranda, 1902-1930. In chronological order of writer.
- File 2, fols. 1-170: Continuing correspondence about administration in Nigeria, 1931-1945.
- File 3, fols. 1-3: Memorandum by Lugard on the inadvisability of wives and children accompanying colonial officers to Nigeria, 1916.
- File 4: Item 1: Minutes of conference on trade between the Association of West African Merchants, Lugard and Donald Cameron in Liverpool, 29 Jan 1919. Item 2: The West African Trade, by the Right Honourable Viscount Leverhulme: speech to the West African Trade Section of the Liverpool Chamber of Commerce, 9 Jul 1924.
- File 5, fols. 1-11: Appeal from the Chief of Ijebu-Ode to the Deputy Governor for the reinstatement of the Awujale Ademolu, 1916.
- File 6, item 1: Printed documents on the reinstatement of the Eleko as Paramount Chief of Lagos by Sir Hugh Clifford, 1919-1921.
- File 7, fols. 1-167: Correspondence and related papers concerning the reorganization of the provincial courts in Nigeria and the judicial system in general, 1931-1934.
- File 8, fols. 1-42: Memorandum by T.S. Adams, Chief Commissioner of the Northern Provinces, about the unworkability of the financial system there and the political decisions that had to be taken to remedy it, 1937.
Language of Materials
MSS. Lugard 56